WHAT I’VE BEEN UP TO
We’ve come to the end of another Sci-Fi Month, and I have to say that I feel like this was my most successful one yet. For the most part, I managed to keep on schedule and be active in visiting other people’s posts, whereas in previous years I’ve kind of fell of the wagon about halfway through. So I am giving myself all of the back pats for sticking with it.
On the more personal side of how my November was, there isn’t really much to say. November’s become a very quiet month for me after years of it being a very busy month filled with essay writing. But I haven’t done anything academic for two years so now I’m just stuck for things to do. That’s probably why I’ve been able to blog so much.
Earlier in the month was my uncle’s 50th birthday and the entire family went out for a meal to celebrate early before him and my auntie went to Thailand to celebrate properly, but other than that, nothing has really been going on with me. I sent in a job application for a university library assistant job, but I still have yet to hear back from them because the library staff went on strike the day after I submitted it. Grr.
Oh, and we dog sat for my grandparents while they were on holiday, which was loud because he barks whenever people come in or out of the house. And that ends up scaring Charlie, who pretty much spent a week in my room, so now he has gained the title of co-blogger, which I think he deserves.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT…
- Recent-ish YA Sci-Fi I Missed Out On
- My Sci-Fi TV Watchlist
- SF Tropes I Love + Hate
- Watching Star Wars for the First Time (at age 24)
- My Unpopular Sci-Fi Opinions 2: Revenge of the Salt
- Sci-Fi Media I’m Thankful For
- My Favourite SF Heroines
WHAT I READ
- Impostors by Scott Westerfeld – – NOSTALGIAAAA
- Superman: Dawnbreaker by Matt de la Pena – – The anti-racism aspect of this book was completely unexpected but I’m not mad because Superman stories have to be about more than superpowers. Also, Clark is a precious child and I want to protect him from the world.
- 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad – – I would have enjoyed this a lot more if there wasn’t this bizarre romance just inserted in there that eventually went completely nowhere.
WHAT I WATCHED
- Alien – Rewatch
- Terminator: Dark Fate – – I was going to write a full review of this but ended up forgetting how to do words. But anyway, this was actually so feminist and I loved it. I don’t see where any negative reviews were coming from because my only issue was that it felt a little too long.
- Jurassic Park – – The effects in this are great and all but the score literally has two songs and that’s it.
- E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial – – This was cute, but the end got a little sickly for me. And ET just looks creepy.
- Alien vs Predator – – I was half asleep when I watched this so all I remember is the fight between the two monsters and something about a pyramid. Oh, and Lance Henriksen was there but not as Bishop.
- Star Wars – – Full review is in my Star Wars post!
- Robocop – – I didn’t actually know this movie is a satire because I kind of went in expecting a violent action movie.
- The Empire Strikes Back – – Mini review is in my Star Wars post!
- Aliens vs Predator: Requiem – – My feelings towards this movie range from nothing to disgust. The human characters did nothing for me, and for some reason, the Alien kills a bunch of children. Including babies. Babies.
- Return of the Jedi – – Mini review is in my Star Wars post!
- Starship Troopers – – Well, damn. Paul Verhoeven didn’t pull any punches in saying “fuck the source material, war is bad, and so is American militarism”.
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind – – I need to stop watching movies with screaming toddlers in them because this gave me a headache.
- Pacific Rim – – I don’t like Charlie Day’s voice. And Charlie Hunnam’s accent was painful to listen to at times.
- Tron – – The effects in this were cool and all if a bit dated, but I kind of had to resort to listening to most of this because the colours hurt my eyes. And I had a little trouble following the story.
- Replicas – – The special effects were a little wonky, but this isn’t an effects-heavy movie so it didn’t bother me.
- Ex Machina – – This was actually pretty creepy and I didn’t expect it to be. Also, I almost passed out watching Domhnall Gleeson cut his arm open
- The Matrix – Rewatch
- The Matrix Reloaded – – I don’t think this is as bad as people say, but the philosophical side did go over my head at times.
- The Matrix Revolutions – – I don’t think this one was that bad either, but it did bug me the plot just forgot about Neo and Trinity for like half an hour.
- The Terminator– Rewatch
- Paycheck – I can’t give this a rating because I used it as background noise while I was cleaning.
- Ghostbusters 2 – – The first one was a million times better.
- Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure – Rewatch
- Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey – Rewatch
- RuPaul’s Drag Race UK – Baga Chipz stayed way too long, IMO. She was the Silky of the season for sure. Rigga morris.
- American Horror Story: 1984 – I’m not sure how I feel about this season. It started off as a pretty strong homage to 80s slasher movies, but then they brought in a crap ton of supernatural elements, and the end was just kind of flat. Also, there were only nine episodes and I wasn’t expecting it to be so short.
- Jersey Shore Family Vacation – I need my trash TV to function, but for 11 years now, every single storyline in Jersey Shore has revolved around Ronnie having some sort of relationship drama. Ugh.
- That 70s Show – Rewatch
- Star Trek: The Next Generation – I’m about halfway through season 1 at the moment and it’s a little slow but I am enjoying it so far.
BOOKS I BOUGHT
THIS MONTH’S FAVOURITES
Favourite book: Impostors, obviously.
Favourite movie: The Empire Strikes Back out of the new-to-me-movies, The Matrix for rewatches.
Favourite TV show: Drag Race UK! I’m making plans with my cousins to see Baga Chipz in December (even though i do still think she stayed for too long).
Favourite song: Purple Haze – The Jimi Hendrix Experience – I have had this song on repeat so many times it’s not even funny.
Favourite thing I did: Played Pokémon! I got Shield the day it came out and I have played it almost every single day, and now I’m about to take on the Pokémon League. If you have a Switch and want to exchange friend codes, let me know! 😀
NEXT MONTH’S GOALS
- Go to bed and get up at a reasonable time
- Get my Christmas shopping done before it’s too late
- Keep up with my skincare and haircare routines
- Drink more water
- Continue to be blogging actively.