1. Unfairly grounded by his parents, Jason decides to lie to them so he can go to the audition in Minneapolis. Unfortunately, not only does the audition end poorly but his parents discover his lie and things go downhill from there. Tell us the most outrageous lie you’ve ever been caught in. Bonus points if you can provide pictorial proof. Reenactments eagerly accepted.
This actually happened last week. My mam has three candles on the fireplace and one of them is burnt out. I lit one of them and threw the match into the burnt out one without blowing the flame out. The burnt out candle was full of old matches and they all caught light from this burning match. It was just a little flame at first but it got bigger and bigger and bigger to the point that it was a fire. I ran into the kitchen and got a glass of water to pour onto the fire and forgot that water has oxygen in it. That made it worse so I ran away (how stupid of me) and then came back when the fire was gone. To hide the evidence I got some oven gloves, picked up the candle holder, ran outside and poured the melted wax in the corner of our yard.
The next day, my parents asked me if I’d poured wax into the yard. I didn’t tell a complete lie and say no, I just bended the truth a little. I said that I took the candle outside while it was still on fire (which is actually incredibly dangerous), and left it there to go out so I could pour the wax away. The wax in the yard is gone now, but this is what’s left of the candle:
My parents actually believed me. Hopefully, they won’t read this…
2. In Faerie, Aoide is summoned to see the Faerie Queen. Have you ever met someone important like the Faerie Queen? Someone famous? Tell us the story behind how it happened. Once again, pictures are a plus!
I haven’t met many important or famous people but I did meet the mayor quite a few years ago and I’ve met a children’s author before. When I did my student librarian qualification at school, Alan Gibbons was at the presentation and I got my picture taken with him. I never did get the picture though. They probably didn’t want to give it out because I ruined it by pulling a stupid face!
3. Caught lying to his father about his non-existent job at the car wash, Jason has now found gainful employment at Buddy McSlawburger’s – where he’s forced to wear “the funny hat” as part of his uniform. What’s the worst job you’ve ever had? Did it involve a particularly noxious uniform? Tell us about it – in riveting, full-color detail!
I’ve never had a job but my school uniforms have been horrendous. The first one was a red jumper/sweater with a white or red polo shirt which wasn’t so bad but it gets worse from there. My junior school uniform was a navy blue jumper with a yellow polo shirt. Taking off that jumper in the summer was just the worst idea ever because you would get attacked by a swarm of midgies (incredibly small, annoying little flies that bite) and they wouldn’t go away until you put your jumper back on! In the senior/secondary school that I went to, they were incredibly anal about uniform. The rules were ridiculous. Here’s some of them:
- All hair accessories must be black
- Skirts must not be at the most 5 cm above or below the knee
- Shirts must be tucked in
- Ties must be five buttons long
- Top buttons of shirts must be fastened (you ended up choking if you followed this rule)
And then there were the colours! Purple and gold. What an awful, awful colour combination. The school now has a summer uniform but they didn’t when I was there so we all had to pretty much wear suits all year long. Black clothes + heat + sunshine = a hot sticky sweaty mess. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any pictures.
4. In an effort to regain their stolen instruments, Aoide and Rhodia travel to the sugar swamp to hire a hunter. Wouldn’t you love to live somewhere where the water is sweet and the grass is made of sugar cane? Show us a picture of you enjoying your favorite sweet treat. Or, rewrite history and tell us how your version of the sugar swamp would differ from the one in the book.
Mmmm… Chocolate buttons….