5 Characters I Liked in Books That Aren’t My Favourites 💕

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl

This week I kind of struggled for ten entries for this list, so I settled for five instead 😅

These days I honestly could not say what my favourite books are because it kind of changes all the time, and since I’m not much of a re-reader, I’m not likely to revisit certain books all the time unless I really do love them and know that my opinion isn’t going to change.

I like to keep a positive outlook in that even though there are books that I enjoyed but don’t consider amazing enough to be a favourite – or even in some cases I barely liked at all – there are always elements that I will love, such as the characters. So for this week, I’m listing five characters that I like from five books that I don’t consider to be my favourites. Because sometimes it’s like that.

Carlisle Cullen, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer – I was around twelve or thirteen years old when I read Twilight and while I was originally Team Edward, it didn’t take me long to declare nope he’s gross and jump over to being a Carlisle fangirl. Why? Because Carlisle isn’t weird, manipulative, and creepy and most likely doesn’t break into his wife’s room to watch her sleep. Also, in the movie he’s gorgeous. Peter Facinelli is a beautiful man. Fact. (and thus began my attraction to older men that i should have seen coming when i was a child)

Cath, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell – I wouldn’t call myself a fan of Rainbow Rowell because her books have fallen under either “meh” or “good” for me and none of them have really blown me away, but Cath is definitely what made Fangirl enjoyable for me. She’s a pretty complex character that I could really relate to because a lot of her experiences were my own. I often prefer to stay home on my laptop rather than going out socialising and making new friends is very hard for me both in the real world and online because my shyness is horrendous. But, I did want to knock some sense into her because she makes writing original fiction sound like it’s impossible. Writing your own original work is hard, there’s no denying that, but depending on what you write, you don’t have to create an entirely new world if you don’t want to.

Dimitri Belikov, Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead – I read Vampire Academy very recently so it’s still fresh in my mind, and while I thought it was an okay book, I really do like Dimitri. I’m an easily pleased girl: I read an attractive man who isn’t awful personality wise (well, mostly) and I swoon. Plus, I finally get a love interest boy who has brown eyes, yay! They almost always have blue or green eyes and I really like brown eyes so they deserve more love. I do have one problem with Dimitri though: his relationship with Rose squicks me a little because she’s seventeen. Yeah.

Charlie, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky – Charlie is another character that I feel like I can relate to but I can’t really project myself onto him because my experiences aren’t the same as his. I understand what it’s like to be lonely and observe life from the sidelines, but unlike Charlie, I haven’t been kind of thrust into experiencing life in the way that he is. He’s not a character that I found easy to connect with because he’s a lot more emotional than I am, but he did grow on me eventually.

Gansey, The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater – There are probably some people out there who are shocked to learn that not only do I not consider The Raven Cycle to be one of my favourites, but my favourite character is actually Gansey, rather than Ronan. I don’t have anything against Ronan, but he was a tough character for me to warm up to. Gansey, on the other hand, is a character that I liked immediately. There’s a quality to him that makes him so genuine and he’s always been my favourite.

Do you have any beloved characters from books that you don’t consider to be favourites?

Louise ☆

Louise is a bookworm, writer, and aspiring librarian from the North East of England. When she’s not reading or procrastinating writing, she can be found dreaming up story ideas, watching anime, movies, or trashy reality TV, and annoying her pets.

Find me on: Web | Twitter

32 Comments

04/04/2018 / 12:00 AM

I hope that I enjoy the rest of the series more than the first book because I really want to like them! 🙂

1. 03/04/2018 / 2:39 PM

I laughed so hard with your comments about Twilight – man can I relate! And I love Charlie, he’s wonderful. Great list 🙂

04/04/2018 / 12:04 AM

I’m glad I’m not alone in my feelings about Twilight, haha 😂

04/04/2018 / 12:06 AM

I hope you enjoy Fangirl when you get to read it! It’s a pretty good story and the characters are great too 🙂

2. 03/04/2018 / 3:31 PM

I actually really related to Cath and Charlie, which is probably a big reason I love those books so much. As for the Raven Cycle, I did really love that series, and I love Ronan, but I get what you mean about Gansey – he’s definitely easy to like from the start.

-lauren
    ShootingStarsMag recently posted…Reviews: Soul to Keep/Hard LineMy Profile

04/04/2018 / 1:03 AM

Gansey is probably the easiest of the boys to like from the beginning of the series, except maybe Adam but I kind of forgot that he’s there 🙊

3. 03/04/2018 / 4:54 PM

Cath is a good one, I liked her a lot. Even as a guy I could relate to her a little bit? Her anxiety at starting college and all that. Her and Levi really worked for me. And of course I liked Reagan enough to put on my list. 🙂
    Greg recently posted…Top Ten CharactersMy Profile

04/04/2018 / 1:53 AM

Anxiety about starting college or going to a new place can be a pretty universal thing, so I related to her for that too 🙂

4. 03/04/2018 / 9:06 PM

Seems like most of us struggled with this topic in some way! It was hard because I’ve found if I don’t like the book, the characters likely were a reason why. It’s sad, but that’s usually the way it goes.

Thanks for visiting my TTT post!

04/04/2018 / 1:55 AM

I usually feel the same way! Characters pretty much make or break a book for me so usually books I didn’t like have characters I don’t like.

5. 04/04/2018 / 1:43 AM

That is exactly why I am #TeamJasper. Also, I would still put Dimitri on my “sexiest characters ever” list.
    Good choices!

04/04/2018 / 1:57 AM

I like Jasper too! I think all of the other Cullens are better than Edward 😂 And I’m with you on placing Dimitri on a “sexiest characters ever” list.

06/04/2018 / 4:55 PM

She’s probably one of the most relatable characters I’ve come across 🙂

6. 04/04/2018 / 2:38 PM

Haha, you`re so right about Twilight. Edward was creepy AF and Jacob was so aggressive. And over what? Boring, plain, damsel in distress Bella.
    Carmen recently posted…TTT: My favourite ShadowhuntersMy Profile

06/04/2018 / 4:59 PM

Jacob really was aggressive, I’m still surprised to see people not call him out for that 😮

7. 04/04/2018 / 4:58 PM

Oh my god CARLISLE!! <3 <3 such a hottie.

I recently read Heart of Iron and absolutely fell in love with the character of Jax, but the storyline was just "meh" for me.
    Rachael @ This Westgate recently posted…The Bookish Q&A TagMy Profile

06/04/2018 / 8:45 PM

I will always stand by my opinion that he’s the hottest in the series ❤️

06/04/2018 / 8:52 PM

Characters like him do usually take time for me to warm up to, but that’s okay as long as I love them in the end 🙂

8. 05/04/2018 / 12:12 PM

I totally have a ton of side-characters I love in books I don’t really like haha. One that comes to mind is Elias from Ember in the Ashes?! LOVE HIM but couldn’t stand the actual book.😭😂 But mostly if I do love a character, then I’ll sort of just warm up to the book anyway because characters are 90% of what I focus on in books anyway.😂
    Cait @ Paper Fury recently posted…Beautiful People: Favourites Edition (And Farewell for Now)My Profile

06/04/2018 / 9:00 PM

I mostly focus on characters too! I can forgive a somewhat lackluster plot if at least the characters are interesting 🙂

15/04/2018 / 3:48 PM

I’ve only read three of her books but Fangirl is probably the only one that I really truly liked, the others didn’t really do much for me 🙂

9. 07/04/2018 / 2:41 PM

I read VA when I was around 16, and I loooved Dimirti, although I was a HUGE fan of the whole cast and the story as well. I especially liked Lissa and Rose, because it was nice to see such strong friendship when female friendship wasn’t that frequent nor significant in YA. And wow, I’m surprised you love Gansey – I mean, I adore him, but I know a lot of people found him the least likable. I like the rest of the characters as well – and I’m a fan of the series haha – but he is by far my favorite. Great list!

Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

15/04/2018 / 3:43 PM

Oooh, I agree with you on Lissa and Rose, there really weren’t that many good female friendships at that time so I’m always glad to see that 😊

10. 16/04/2018 / 6:57 PM

I really need to read Fangirl someday, it sounds exactly like my kind of book, yet for some reason I haven’t read it haha. I feel like Cath would be a character I could 100% relate to, really, and I can’t wait 🙂
    Also, yes for Gansey, he is such a great character, I loved him so much!
    Lovely list! 🙂 x
    Marie @ Drizzle & Hurricane Books recently posted…Talking about my WIP in GIFs (and sharing! snippets!!)My Profile

18/04/2018 / 7:25 PM

Ooh, you really should read Fangirl! It’s a pretty easy-going book but there are some feels here and there 🙂

• Louise ☆
      09/05/2018 / 1:38 AM

I think Ronan is definitely the most popular Raven Boy, but I don’t mind being different over in the Gansey corner 🙂