Bookish Quirks I Have ❄️

I like to think that I’m a quirky person, but not in a pretentious manic pixie dream girl kind of quirky. I have my ways of doing things that might be weird to other people, but I’m not going to change those ways any time soon because it works for me.

Recently I’ve been thinking about how my snowflake self may differ from most other bookworms, and it’s mainly because of the amount of (i think) cringeworthy memes that Goodreads posts on social media all the time. You know which ones I mean. The ones that low-key act like bookworms are the superior beings on Earth just because we read, when actually that’s not true and we’re just the same as everyone else. Those memes. yeah, i don’t like them very much.

Anyways, here are some of my bookish quirks!

there’s no point to this gif, btw. jyushimatsu is just the quirkiest character i could think of.

mapping out how much i’m going to read 📑

I’m a strategic person when it comes to certain things, and I like some things to have a set structure to them. I always start watching a movie on the hour, and I always have to read a certain amount of chapters (or pages if there are no numbered chapters for ~aesthetic~ reasons) or else I’ll think I’m failing at reading things on time. I have ASD so that’s just how it is for me.

Because my concentration has taken a huge blow in recent years, I can only read one book a week. Just one. I can’t do multiples at a time because my brain refuses to work that hard, and reading should not be stressful. This is why I never do well at readathons. Just sitting down to read as much as I can in a day is not something I can do because I end up going stir-crazy from being on my butt all day and I need to do more than just one thing.

The way that I set out how much to read is by carefully going to the back of the book to see how many chapters there are and then dividing that by seven, or fourteen if it’s a particularly long book. But I very rarely read long-ass books so that doesn’t happen often. Sometimes I’ll read more than that if the book is particularly exciting, and sometimes it’ll take me longer if it’s boring. I’m not a fast reader, so all that matters to me is that I’m reading in the first place.

soft DNF-ing 🛑

I’m sure other people do this, but I don’t know if anybody gave it a name. Basically, “soft” DNF-ing is when you stop reading a book before you finish it with the intention of going back and starting it again later. You’ve more than likely done it before, and I do it quite a lot.

I haven’t “hard” DNF-d a book in quite some time because I haven’t found any books that I felt that strongly about and instead I’ve been simply putting them down to come back to later, especially if it doesn’t feel like the right time to read them. Even though I say that I’m not a mood reader and can contradict myself because it’s my life and I can contradict myself if I want to.

watching the movie first 🎬

I’m very likely in the minority here but I don’t think it matters whether you read the book first or not. I also don’t think that the book is always better because it’s a book. Fight me.

Sometimes there are cases where I simply don’t want to read the book first because I either can’t be bothered or I didn’t want to in the first place. It’s essentially the same story, so it doesn’t bother me at all. Sometimes I just didn’t know that the movie was based on a book. It happens. I just don’t think it’s always necessary to force yourself to read the original text just because you want to watch the movie. I love watching the Naruto anime, but there is no way I’m ever going to continue reading the original manga because I simply don’t have the time, space, or money for it. I don’t care if it’s more “accurate” or if there’s no filler, it’s 72 books long and there are other things I want to read.

Oh, and I know people won’t like this, but I have a little tip for when watching movies based on books that you’ve already read: if you don’t spend the whole running time picking it apart and deciding if the movie is “right” or “wrong”, you’ll enjoy it more. Trust me.

ignoring the bookish community (sometimes) 📵

The bookish community is awesome but can be so exhausting to be a part of sometimes. There are times where it feels to me like there’s a pressure to confirm and read the same books as everyone else and to have the same opinions as everyone else. The whole “what do you mean you ‘don’t like Harry Potter‘” thing is one that comes straight to mind (and one that’s also dying down thanks to Rowling making a fool of herself). I don’t always want to read what everyone is reading, I want to read what I want to read.

And that brings me to something I’ve seen a few people do on Twitter: using emotional manipulation to get people to read certain books. Usually diverse books, which is something that we should not do. What I mean is someone tweeting about a book and when their followers don’t really respond they do the whole “oh, so I guess nobody cares about diversity”. Please do not do this, it’s emotionally manipulative. Diverse books are important and should be promoted more than they have been, but manipulation is not the way to do it. Being recommended books is great but when someone asks you how you found a book, saying “someone I follow on Twitter said that if I don’t read and enjoy this book I hate marginalised people” is a weird answer.

Do you have any bookish quirks? Are you able to read all day without stopping or do you need to stop for the day and pick up again tomorrow?

Louise ☆

Louise is a bookworm, writer, and aspiring librarian from the North East of England. When she’s not reading or procrastinating writing, she can be found dreaming up story ideas, watching anime, movies, or trashy reality TV, and annoying her pets.

8 Comments

1. 14 April, 2018 / 1:22 PM

For me, reading all day really depends on the book. If it is a book I am extremely captivated by, I can read it all day long. But if the book is a struggle bus, then I definitely can’t force myself to sit there reading it all day.
    I have a lot of similar book quirks! Great post!

• louise ☆
      Author
      15 April, 2018 / 2:49 PM

It depends on the book for me too. Also if I’m reading a book that I’m struggling with during a reading slump, it’s going to be a disaster 😅

2. 16 April, 2018 / 11:21 AM

Ahh i relate to the first one a LOT! I tend to only want to read if I can read 100pgs in one go. That’s like my comfortable place. Of course that doesn’t always happen 😂So then I sometimes will go ages without reading because I can’t hit my right numbers?!? AH FUN TIMES. And ugh I agree about the last one…that makes me so mad. I’ve literally been blocked by people on twitter because I didn’t like a marginalised book ergo I must be racist (nooo??? that’s not how it works???) So sometimes one does need to just ignore everyone and READ. For fun! I love blogging but sometimes I have to take a step back and remember that I do just love being a bookworm?! Without all the pressure is good too.😂
    Cait @ Paper Fury recently posted…Small Spaces by Sarah Epstein || New Favourite #LoveOZYA Thriller?!My Profile

• louise ☆
      Author
      18 April, 2018 / 7:11 PM

I don’t understand people who think that if you don’t like/aren’t interested in a certain diverse book it automatically makes you an awful person. I purposely never said anything about the Black Panther movie on Twitter because I had a feeling that I would get that kind of reaction. I just want to enjoy myself with the things I want to read and just ignore everyone else sometimes 😅

3. 19 April, 2018 / 3:03 AM

I’m a little bit the same as you when it comes to reading a certain amount. I kind of need the chapter to be divisible by five? Like, if I stopped at chapter four instead of five it would feel very wrong. So I always try to read five, ten, fifteen etc. If there’s no chapters, I want the page to end with a five or zero. It’s the only way I’ll be happy, haha.

I honestly don’t care about the book to movie thing, either. I recently watched Everything, Everything, but I honestly have zero desire to read the book. I liked the story but I don’t need to experience it in another format. Same with the upcoming Darkest Minds. I’ll totally watch the movie, but probably not read the book, haha. I think the “you have to read the original text before the adaptation” thing is silly.

Also, reading Harry Potter does not a bookworm make. I read the first when when I was nine, then stopped. In 2016 I read the next three. I know I have zeroooo interest in reading the rest and I’m okay with that. That doesn’t cancel out all the other books Ive read, and the fact that I AM A BOOKWORM. Ugh, I could go on about how much that whole thing annoys me, haha.
    Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity recently posted…Five Reasons Why I Enjoyed Ace of Shades by Amanda FoodyMy Profile

• Louise ☆
      Author
      9 May, 2018 / 1:29 AM

I always try to do multiples of seven since I usually take a week to read a book, but when I get a multiple of seven that is also a multiple of five I end up kind of overjoyed. Multiples of five just feel like more complete numbers for some reason, haha.

I think the whole “always read the book first” thing is silly too. It’s pretty much the same story and I don’t think the movie needs to meet an incredibly strict criteria of how close it is to the book to be a good movie to me. I really liked the Ready Player One movie but didn’t mind it being different to the book one bit because they’re both enjoyable in different ways.

And yes, Harry Potter is definitely not a requirement. I recently saw a meme on Facebook about how liking Harry Potter is the “default” and I almost lost my eyeballs from rolling them so much. I might get them from the library just to say that I have read them, but I just don’t get what’s so great about the series??? It’s kind of like how I feel about Sarah J Maas but on a more humongous scale.

4. 8 May, 2018 / 4:46 PM

I actually advocate in some cases watching the movie or mini-series first! People think I’m crazy, but I work in a children and teen library, so to me, the most important thing is being able to enjoy what you read. I watched Pride and Prejudice as a child and likely wouldn’t have picked it up, or enjoyed it much, if I hadn’t grown up knowing the storyline. I never wanted to read War and Peace until I watched the recent mini-series and realized it wasn’t simply a war epic. If watching the movie helps someone to understand what they are reading enough that it gets them to keep reading, well, that’s just perfect in my mind!
    I am sometimes feeling a bit of pressure from the community, although I don’t always realize it. I tend to be very strong in my opinions, but sometimes I realize that I have softened my words a little about something I didn’t like because I know others love it, and I want to work on not doing that. Things aren’t going to work for everyone, and its important for readers to get a more accurate idea of that.
    Shayna recently posted…Ten Books With Green TitlesMy Profile

• Louise ☆
      Author
      9 May, 2018 / 1:34 AM

That’s such a great way of looking at it! I would have never read The Godfather if I didn’t like the movie, and the same probably goes for a lot of classics. One of my friends at uni often struggled with the books we read so I always told her when there was a movie or TV series available so that it would help her to understand.

I feel the pressure too sometimes, especially when it comes to engaging in conversation about certain things. I used to follow someone who would shame people for not tweeting about specific things, but I never saw those things happening so I couldn’t speak out. And I sometimes state my opinions a lot softer because I never know how people are going to react to it. I know that so many people in the bookish community love the Marvel movies, but I’m not so keen and I’m often scared to say so out of fear that I’ll get lashed out at or something.