10 Backlist Sci-Fi Books on My TBR 🛸

These days I’m almost exclusively a backlist reader because I can never keep up with current releases. That and even if I did keep up with current releases, they’d end up becoming backlist titles because I’m so forgetful that they’d just sit on my shelves until I end up picking them up later on.

Since it’s Sci-Fi Month, I wanted to put a wee twist on this week’s prompt and talk about backlist SF books that I have on my TBR. Some are YA and some are classics because those are the ones that I definitely constantly forget about. Because, as per usual, I am extremely forgetful.

YA BOOKS

Sever by Lauren DeStefano – It has been a million years since I started this series and even though it’s been a while since the last book came out, I still haven’t read it yet. In fact, I completely forgot about this series and didn’t buy the last book until either last year or the year before. Whoops.

This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner – The fact that I still haven’t gotten around to this book completely baffles me because I loved These Broken Stars when I read it in 2014 and pretty much raced out to buy the next two books in the series when they were released. But because I’m me, I still haven’t read them.

Fairest by Marissa Meyer – The Lunar Chronicles is still one of my favourites, but once I finished the main series I kind of just left it forever. Hopefully, I can get to Fairest sometime soon because it has been on my TBR pretty much since it came out.

Insurgent by Veronica Roth – It’s been a long time since I read the first Divergent and I’m kind of torn on whether or not I want to continue on with the series. I thought the first book was okay and I did buy the rest of the series, but I’ve since been spoiled for Allegiant and that’s why I’m hesitant to continue. Maybe someday I’ll forget that spoiler and will be able to read it without being hesitant.

Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith – I bought this book a few years ago when it came out for an LGBT+ Month that I took part in, and it’s been sat gathering digital cobwebs in my Kindle ever since because I kind of just forgot about it. Which is a shame because I always like seeing LGBT+ representation in genre fiction.

CLASSICS

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley – Pre-war classics are always a bit intimidating, aren’t they?

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams – You ever buy a book because of its reputation and then immediately get intimidated by that reputation? Because even though this book is relatively short, that is what exactly happened to me.

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess – I’ve seen the movie of this book and even though it’s mostly the same, that’s kind of putting me off, but that hasn’t really stopped me before.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury – I have given this one a go but didn’t get very far into it, so I don’t really count it as a DNF because I didn’t hate it, it just wasn’t the right time for me to read it. Hopefully, the right time will come soon.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick – I’ve tried to read this every Sci-Fi Month that I’ve taken part in, but I still have yet to actually read it. And when I say “try” I mean that I’ve put it on my TBR and just never gotten around to it.

What backlist titles are on your TBR? Do you tend to keep up with current releases or do you prefer to read older books?

23 Comments

1. 06/11/2018 / 9:09 AM

I thought Insurgent was pretty good, but I never did read Allegiant (I was spoiled as well). And Hitchhiker’s Guide I really should read- I actually started it once and never finished, for whatever reason.
    Greg recently posted…Top Ten Backlist BooksMy Profile

• Louise
      Author
      09/11/2018 / 9:27 PM

I think I gave Hitchhiker’s Guide a try one too, but I didn’t get very far into it before putting it down for later.

2. 06/11/2018 / 11:32 AM

I remember reading Divergent and giving it three stars yet I never quite felt motivated to read on with the series. I don’t read massive amounts of Scifi but it tends to be more up to date stuff rather than the so called classics! I hope to get plenty read this month though!

• Louise
      Author
      09/11/2018 / 9:29 PM

I’m kind of feeling the same way towards Divergent. It probably doesn’t help that it’s been such a long time since I read it.

3. 06/11/2018 / 12:23 PM

I’ve heard that only Divergent was worth reading in that series. It gave me an excuse to toss the rest of the books.

I don’t think you can ever go wrong with Ray Bradbury.

• Louise
      Author
      09/11/2018 / 9:33 PM

I think I’ve heard the same thing once before too. A friend of mine got spoiled for the final book and pretty much rage quit te whole series :/

4. 06/11/2018 / 2:40 PM

Ahh I loved the Divergent trilogy! *_*

I need to finish the Lunar Chronicles too. I have all the books, I just need to get around to reading them!

My TTT post!

• Louise
      Author
      09/11/2018 / 9:34 PM

I hope you do finish the Lunar Chronicles! It took me a while to get through Winter, but it was definitely worth it 🙂

5. 06/11/2018 / 4:02 PM

I think it’s worth reading Insurgent. Allegiant, not so much. The ending of that ticked me off to no end.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is one of my favorite books ever. But you really do have to have a certain sort of sense of humor to enjoy it. Definitely give it a shot!

I’ve always wanted to read A Clockwork Orange ever since my psyche teacher showed us the movie (how he got away with that, I will never know).

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

• Louise
      Author
      09/11/2018 / 9:37 PM

I think I’ve seen a lot of people feel that way about Allegiant’s ending. It really puts me off wanting to finish the series.

6. 06/11/2018 / 6:40 PM

I’ve read all except one of your classic backlist books, and I’d recommend all of them. (I haven’t read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? but it’s on my TBR as well.) I do only recommend A Clockwork Orange if you’re already interested in it, though. Even though I personally didn’t really enjoy either the book or the movie, I thought the book was much better.

However, if you’re already hesitant about Insurgent, I’d say skip it. Divergent was a good book, but Insurgent wimps out on all the things I liked about Divergent.
    Nicole @ BookWyrmKnits recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday ~ Backlist Books I Want to ReadMy Profile

• Louise
      Author
      11/11/2018 / 4:43 AM

I’ve had my copy for a few years now so my interest in it kind of comes and goes, but hopefully it’ll come back so I can finally read it 🙂

• Louise
      Author
      11/11/2018 / 4:44 AM

Glad to know that I’m not the only person who got spoiled! :/

7. 07/11/2018 / 6:03 PM

Hitchhiker’s Guide is so much fun! Read it!
    I’ve had Do Androids Dream of Eclectic Sheep recced to me quite a few times but haven’t gotten around to purchasing/reading it yet.
    Annemieke recently posted…Book Review – Empress of All SeasonsMy Profile

• Louise
      Author
      11/11/2018 / 4:45 AM

I’ll definitely have to see if I have time to get to Hitchhiker’s Guide this month! 😀

8. 09/11/2018 / 6:45 AM

I too struggle to keep up with new releases so the majority of the books I read are backlist titles. And yet, there’s still so many I haven’t read and really want to!

Definitely read This Shattered World if you can! That whole series is amazing!! I can understand being hesitant to continue the Divergent series knowing the ending, but I think Insurgent is still worth reading one day!
    Niamh @ nuggets of niamh recently posted…It Ends With You // ReviewMy Profile

• Louise
      Author
      11/11/2018 / 4:42 AM

I’m hoping to get around to This Shattered World soon! It’s been four years since I read These Broken Stars and I don’t want to put off reading the rest of the series any longer 🙂

• Louise
      Author
      11/11/2018 / 3:10 AM

I’m not sure why I haven’t read Fairest yet, either. It’s probably because I can never decide on whether I want it in hardback or not 😂

9. 11/11/2018 / 1:14 AM

I read a little bit of everything. I try to review an ARC every week, so I’m always reading something new (although it might not always be a hyped new book). Then I usually manage to read another book in the week. Sometimes a new book, sometimes an older book.

Since I like to start series at the very beginning, I do read quite a lot of backlist books.

I love Veronica Roth’s books… I do pretend that the ending to Allegiant never happened though. I’ve read so much Divergent fanfiction that I don’t even take that ending as my truth. But I really have to thank Veronica Roth for that really horrid ending, because getting into reading Divergent faction caused me to start writing fanfiction, which got me to start writing more creative fanfiction, and I’m writing my first original novel this month. So… I have that awful ending to thank for something.
    Brooke Lorren recently posted…Legendary was Just ThatMy Profile

• Louise
      Author
      11/11/2018 / 2:56 AM

It’s always great when a bad ending inspires you to create something better. Good luck with your novel! 🙂